Thursday, August 2, 2012

In the Beginning - The Art of Embarrassment

There is one school of thought that suggests that all old and embarrassing pieces of art should head for the dustbin. If the painting is on paper, then it is even better if it is torn in little pieces first, so that it will definitely never again see the light of day. Another school of thought suggests that such pieces should be retained as a  record of one's beginning as an artist and subsequent development. Supposedly this sort of review and comparison will build one's self esteem and provide encouragement to forge on.

I began painting in 2004 at a  a local  four-day watercolour workshop where I fell in love with paint and water. Here is my very first painting-it had paint and it was wet! Love the purple! This must have been the beginning of my interest in abstracts.


Undaunted, I carried on in my "home studio" known by my family as the kitchen table to produce this painting of a famous rock formation in New Zealand.


I have discarded paintings, washed them out in the sink to start over again, and cut them up to use as colour test sheets. I have kept quite a lot and they do show progression in my work. The danger in reviewing them, however, if you are in the painting "doldrums" is the thought that enters your mind that you are devolving instead of evolving. That's when I throw them in the sink!

Go to My WebSite

No comments: