Thursday, November 19, 2015

How to Paint Like Turner

I have recently visited the exhibition -  J.M.W. Turner: Painting Set Free - at the Art Gallery of Ontario.


One of the memorable and well-know paintings- Snow Storm - Steamboat off a Harbour is oil on canvas. Exciting as this painting is, I much preferred his luminous watercolours.

                                                              The Blue Rigi, Sunrise
                               ( He did several variations of this image in Switzerland)
                                                 
                                                                      The Red Rigi


                                                                Nordham Castle,Sunrise (my favorite)


    Fort Vimieux
                                                                               
Imagine my surprise when I saw a book advertised in an art journal claiming to  help you "paint like Turner". Wow! Off to the public library for a copy of  How to Paint Like Turner, edited by Nicola Moorby and Ian Warrell and featuring the work of various artists.
This is a book well worth a look. The forward is by Rosalind Mallord Turner, his great-great niece and also a painter. It is an interesting introduction to Turner and provides practical information and demonstrations.
I found the book provided additional material on Turner which enhanced my appreciation of the exhibition I had just seen. I decided, however, that I wasn't ready to"Copy first the works of God, and then the works of Turner" as Edward Lear suggested.









Go to my website

No comments: