Friday, December 18, 2015

Are My Paintings Underpriced??


Peter Doig, one of my favorite artists is a lucky man. He recently sold "Swamped" a 1991 painting for $26 million US at auction! This is one of his many paintings featuring canoes. (See more about Peter Doig in the January 30 2015 post)


Swamped



Modigliani's "Reclining Nude", 1917,  was sold at Christie's  recently  for $170 million. It nearly created a scandal when it was first exhibited in Paris.  It was the second highest price ever achieved at auction for a work of art.
Reclining Nude


Pablo Picasso's "Women of Algiers" of which there are several versions, holds the record for the highest sum ever paid for an artwork at auction. It sold for $179.4 million in May.

Women of Algiers

My thoughts - I will stick to my pricing plan, but consider doing some nudes in a canoe.

A final thought  - An artist asked the gallery owner if there had been any interest in his paintings on display at that time.
"I have good news and bad news," the owner replied. "The good news is that a gentleman enquired about your work and wondered if it would appreciate in value after your death. When I told him it would, he bought all 15 of your paintings."
"That's wonderful," the artist exclaimed. "What's the bad news?"
"The guy was your doctor..."


Go Back to Website

No comments: